170071154_2012-PF.jpg 170071154_2012-PF.jpg

The Zoar Bridge, built by Oxford and Monroe in 1876, was made of wrought iron and of the suspension type because several previous bridges had been taken down river by ice freshets. The bridge was used until 1918 when the Stevenson dam and bridge were built. The old bridge was about a mile and a half upstream and was flooded by Lake Zoar.  (Courtesy of Sandy Davis.) (From Images of America, Oxford, by Dorothy A. DeBisschop)