Arthur G. Warner
Arthur G. Warner, well known as the president and treasurer of the Connecticut Marble and Tile Company of New Haven is descended in both paternal and maternal lines from families connected with the history of New England through four or more generations. Among the most prominent ancestors in the Revolutionary War was Captain John Warner, of whom Arthur G. Warner was a direct descendant, while the Chatfield family, the maternal line, manifested equal loyalty and valor in the trying period which gave rise to the American Republic.
His father, Egbert L. Warner, was born in Morris, CT, and at Oxford married Harriet C. Chatfield. In the early 1870's they removed to New Haven, but after a short period took up their abode at Southbury, CT, where the father engaged in farming for a number of years. Later he removed to New Haven where he engaged in the real estate business but eventually retired from commercial pursuits and lived upon the magnificent G. S. Warner estate in New Haven, where passing away in 1898 at the age of 67 years. His widow survived him for more than a decade, dying in New Haven in February 1910, at the advanced age of eighty years. Three children were born of their marriage: Mrs. Mary L. Hosley (or Hasley), living in East Haven; Mr. Arthur G. and Mr. Nathan J., both of New Haven.
Following periods of study in Westville and Southbury, Connecticut, Arthur G. Warner who was born at Oxford, CT December 12, 1866, entered the Parker Academy at Woodbury and there completed his education. It was his desire to learn the machinist's trade and he entered enthusiastically upon the task, but the indoor work with the constant breathing of fine particles of iron and steel dust, brought on serious throat trouble and the family physician advised him to abandon that line of activity. He therefore turned his attention to clerical work, and in Newton, CT, found employment with L. B. Booth, with whom he continued for three years, after which he was employed in a similar capacity at Ansonia for one year.
In 1889 he became an employee of T. W. Corbett of New Haven, with whom he was closely associated in business from 1889 until 1904, or for a period of fifteen years. At that time the Connecticut Marble and Tile Company was organized and he became its treasurer and manager, so continuing for three years, or until 1907, when he was elected president and treasurer. He is the active head of this fast growing institution, the business of which has developed along substantial lines until it is now an important industrial undertaking in the city.
On the 12th day of April 1887, Mr . Warner was married to Miss Bertha M. Botsford, of Stepney, CT, who died in New Haven in 1908. She was the daughter of Eugene Botsford, of Newton, and by her marriage became the mother of four children. The eldest Earl B., born in Ansonia, CT, married Marion Page of New Haven, and they have two children: Arthur G. and Margaret. George T. B., born in New Haven is married and resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Russell G. is a graduate of the Sheffield Scientific School and is now an instructor of
electrical engineering at Yale. He married Miss Vera Chandler of New Haven. Marion, born in New Haven, is attending the State Normal School at New Britain. For his second wife, Arthur G. Warner married Miss Bertha Chambers, of New York City, a daughter of Thomas Chambers. They were married August 24, 1910, and have one child, Bennett Chambers, born in New Haven, July 24, 1915.
Mr. Warner holds membership in Christ Church of New Haven, is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Union League Club, the Army and Navy Club of New York and the Chamber of Commerce.
Politically he maintains an in dependant course and his military experience has come to him as a member of the Governor's Foot Guard, being at the present time a line officer in that organization. His life has been in harmony with that of an honorable ancestral record of a family connected with Connecticut from early colonial days and who at all times have been loyal to the interests of the state and nation, and have stood for progress and improvement.
From: A modern history of New Haven and eastern New Haven County. By Everett Gleason Hill, 1918