60 Towner Lane, Oxford
Oxford Historical Society's
Center & Museum
Sunday, August 7, 2-4 p.m.
Author Eric D. Lehman will give a talk based on his book, Homegrown Terror: Benedict Arnold and the Burning of New London.
10th Annual Peach Festival
Saturday, August 27, 4-7 p.m.
St. Peter's Fellowship Hall
Featuring Photos and History of
Oxford's First Responders:
Oxford Center Fire Company
Quaker Farms Fire Company
Riverside Fire Company
Oxford Junior Fire Corps
Oxford Ambulance Association.
Oxford Historical Society Earns Gold Seal from GuideStar Exchange
The Oxford Historical Society, Inc. has received the
GuideStar Exchange Gold participation level, a leading symbol of transparency
and accountability provided by GuideStar USA, Inc., the premier source of
nonprofit information. This level demonstrates the Society's deep commitment to
nonprofit transparency and accountability.
The Society has worked diligently to fulfill our
mission. We have a commitment in being
transparent about our efforts to encourage historic preservation and
appreciation in Oxford. As a GuideStar
Exchange participant, we use their platform to share a wealth of up-to-date
information abOxford Historical Society Earns Gold Seal from GuideStar Exchangeout our work to our supporters and GuideStar's immense online
audience of nonprofits, grantmakers, individual donors, and the media.
Adeline Gray, Oxford's famous parachutist makes history. See her story here
Area History Links:
(search the 1798 Oxford CT Tax roll.)
Harriet's QuiltAn Oxford signature quilt from before the Civil War.See information on the quilt and on the people who made and signed it:HERE |
J. Henry Eames Exhibit
J. Henry Eames spent his working life as a noted American architect, his love
of painting in watercolors filled his leisure time from his youth in the gold
mines of West Africa to his retirement in Oxford. Eames’ works vary from portraits of Gold
Coast natives to pastoral scenes of his wife’s ducks on their Oxford Farm.
The Twitchell-Rowland Homestead
Museum will open the first display ever of J. Henry Eames’ art on Sunday, May
15, from 2-4 p.m. Located at 60 Towner
Lane in Oxford, it is open on the first and third Sundays of each month from
2-4 p.m. or by appointment. Admission is
The grandfather of Louise N. Burr,
President of the Oxford Historical Society, J. Henry Eames was born in England
in 1859, but came to the United States as a baby. Trained in draftsmanship and architectural
drawing in England, he worked as an architect in Boston, New York City and
Patterson, New Jersey. He designed a
wide variety of buildings and sculptures including The Founder’s Tomb at St.
John the Divine Church, The Tree of Jesse in Trinity Churchyard and the brick
buildings at West Point.
About 1910, Eames and his wife,
Eleanor, and their family moved to a farm on Christian Street in Oxford, first
as a summer home and later, year round.
In the last years of his life, he lived in a small house on Larkey Road,
the final structure that he planned and built.
He died in 1949.
For further information call 203
|More Photos from the 2016 Fiber Fest, CLICK HERE
Alfred Harger Photo Collection,
1930's and 40's now online
First and Third Sundays of each month
2 - 4 p.m.
Photos of Lake Zoar, Zoar Bridge, Zoar Village and Stevenson Station added from 2012 Peach Festival
PHOTO COLLECTION The Society continues to make appointments to meet with individuals at the Library to scan their photos of old time Oxford. while they
wait. If you have photos to share, please call Dottie DeBisschop
203-910-4574 to schedule an appointment.
Oxford Center School Photos
The Oxford Historical Society has received many class
photographs from Oxford Center School. The photographs are being
scanned and filed for preservation in our archives.
are asked to help identify the students and teachers in the
photographs. You may see our growing collection here:
Download a free Kindle copy of the book "Chauncey Judd,
Story of burglary and kidnapping during the American Revolution, with parts of the story taking place in Oxford.
or a Boy Stolen,"
by Israel P. Warren.
To download, RIGHT CLICK HERE and choose SAVE AS. The
exhibit can be seen during museum open hours from 2-4 p.m. on the first
and third Sundays of each month or by appointment. For further
information call 203 888-0230.